As I said yesterday, I completed a tutorial from Johnathan Williamson creating a battery in blender, rendering in Lux Render.
I have not had any experience with Lux Render so I elected to use the Cycles render engine within Blender 2.63. Cycles does not have the default materials Lux Render has but I was able to create a semi-realistic copper material for the top. I think the results are acceptable 🙂
I did this quick Soccer Ball tutorial this morning. It was a little tedious at some points but learned quite a bit about different selection techniques. Below is in image of my screen showing you the number of faces. The selection techniques used during this tutorial made the process a great learning tool.
Some final Renders Below
During this next weekend I will create another tutorial for placement on YouTube highlighting the various selection methods used in this tutorial.
If find creating tutorials such as those detailing different techniques to accomplish the same tasks allow me to better remember them. I create the video in my mind first, then record the actual video (sometime multiple times). When the recording is complete the editing of the final addition takes place requiring about 2-3 times the actual recording time. Then I watch the complete video 3 – 4 times listening for things I may have forgotten. The final video is then rendered and watched again for errors one last time and posted to YouTube. That is roughly 10 times the video runs through my head. Plenty of time for cementing the information into my memory.
I also completed another tutorial by Johnathan Williamson, ‘Creating a Battery’, from last year before Cycles was in trunk. He used Lux Render, a program I am not at all familiar with so I used Cycles and it turned out wonderful. I will post those pictures tomorrow.
I have completed recording and editing my first tutorial. Below is a render of the finished tutorial and the photo used in the opening shot.
The tutorial is based on one of the Mugs in the Tea set ‘Still Life’ tutorial I started and completed earlier this morning. I thought this would be a good start for the following reasons:
- Use of many of the tools I am familiar with
- Practice with Cycles and Materials within Cycles
- Easy to complete
I felt the video turned out great for my first. The total time of the video is just over 12 minutes, a little more than 15 minutes prior to editing. Editing of this video itself took a couple of hours.
P.S. I loved doing this.
P.P.S I am getting used to my recorded voice.
Completed a short tutorial this morning. The total time completing this tutorial was about 3hrs including render time. The final render was done using Cycles with 1000 samples.
The only changes made to this scene were the Teapot (off white) and the mugs. Original scene was rendered with all white ceramic Teapot and mugs.
Trying out a light colored wood texture for my Nick Knack Box.
The texture isn’t perfect yet, I still have to move some faces around and eliminate / reduce some of the seams. For a first shot it doesn’t look all that bad.
Edit: I had to change the post title due to the amount of spam picking up on the old one.
Interior Architecture Scene – Tutorial by Johnathan Williamson
This is one of my favorite tutorials by Mr. Williamson. Earlier in the year CG Cookie conducted a survey asking us users how they could improve and what items we would like to learn more about. This tutorial covered every item I requested in one shot, not to mention I had a great time completing it.
I know the lighting and color is a bit washed out and I think I can improve the quality with a few adjustments to the settings. Not to mention I could not locate the texture bundled with the tutorial for the chair and tried creating my own and that (color) seems to be the culprit. Within the next few days I’ll locate a better/darker texture and post again.
This is from Andrew Price’s “The Nature Academy”, Week 2: Rocks
One of my first projects, a Knick Knack Box purchased at a local hobby store.
This object, sitting on top of the lid, was one of the first challenges I had and turned out very much like the reference photo
Thought I would post a picture from Andrew Price’s “The Nature Academy”, Week 1: Grass
This was my first attempt using the particle system and nodes. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
First post and a milestone in my effort to give back to a community which has given so much to me this past year.
I first downloaded Blender in May of 2011 and was overwhelmed by the UI as I have found is common with new users. This quickly became a non issue as I purchased books and watched tutorials at CG Cookie and Blender Guru.
What I was not expecting was how great the user community is and their love of the program, their art and willingness to help old farts like me.
I will be using this site to document my continuing adventure in 3DCG, specifically with Blender via written and video tutorials as my proficiency increases.
Talk to you soon,